June 04, 2009

LENDING A HELPING HAND


You have heard me say in past posts about helping others feel special who are down and out, I was Thankful I could help again yesterday. I was planning on going to church if I was going anywhere but my phone rang my cousin and their friend who lost his home 5 months ago needed transportation, in the last 6 months these 2 people lost their jobs, home, and when moved a month ago the neighbors shot his dog, Chris has worked hard and so has his brother and just can't seem to catch a break, due to circumstances Chris has no car and Paul's car has a bad transmission and their roommate also lost his job and home. Does it really matter why they don't have cars or lost their home, not to me, if I can help in anyway I will without judgement on WHY. Other family members have forgotten these boys because they drink=That's not why they lost their jobs, they never missed work, the job market is just really bad and both men had over 25 years at one place, All 3 men are alcoholics, it's soo sad to see 3 young men in their 40's struggling in this world without a car, without a job, and not much money, One has been to Edwin Shaw several times before and the result is always the same ( They go back to the bottle). But when our church went to The Haven of Rest we saw alcoholics who had turned their life around, and we also had a man join our church who was in the same spot as Paul and Chris but the Lord helped this man and his wife who worked for The Haven of Rest live a different life because they accepted the Lord as their Savior, and this inspires me to believe these men could someday do the same. but until then just like Christmas eve, I will share food, find them transportation to appointments, etc. I can't give them money I don't have any but probably wouldn't give money anyway to spend on beer. but for now all I can do is pray that people can see the good in these men beyond the bottle and that God can give them healing to help them with the darkness of drinking, it killed their Father and Grandfather, it seems lifestyles are mimicked, I can't do much to help them, even transportation is hard for me, I don't drive much, the grocery store and church has been about as far as I drive, but yesterday I was proud to help in an emergency. Perhaps today we could all PRAY for those who have a different life then we do, my prayer is not only God would heal their addictions but that we as Christians would help those who we see are down and out, some say dead beats, but I see them as ONE OF GOD'S CHILDREN. A smile, a hot meal, a ride to anywhere but a bar. But most important Respect and Love. People forget it is only by God's Grace we are not in their shoes.

No comments: